The Second Coming (also called Second Advent or Parousia) is the future return of Jesus Christ in in His glory to the earth to judge his enemies, and set up His Kingdom and reward the faithful.
There are two comings of Jesus Christ to the earth. He first came as a child and as a Saviour. During the Second Coming of Jesus Christ He will come as a Judge and a Conquering Messiah. These two separate comings can be seen in Isaiah 7:14, 9:6-7 and Zechariah 14:5.
Jesus finished His work of the salvation of mankind and ascended into Heaven on Mount Olives. After His ascension two angels said to His Disciples:
“Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? This same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.” (Act 1:11).
Purpose of the Second Coming of Jesus Christ
1. To fulfill the Scripture: It has been prophesied at different times in the Holy Bible that Jesus would come as a Saviour and then return again. The Scripture says that God “cannot lie” and that He will not change His mind (Numbers 23:19; Titus 1:2). Jesus Christ will come back again immediately after the Great Tribulation.
2. Jesus Christ said He will come again: In several places Jesus Christ talked about His Second Coming.
Jude 1:14 “And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints”
Zechariah 14:5 “And ye shall flee to the valley of the mountains; For the valley of the mountains shall reach unto Azal: Yea, ye shall flee, like as ye fled from before the earthquake in the days of Uzziah king of Judah: And the LORD my God shall come, And all the saints with thee.”
Matthew 24:30 “And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.”
Mark 14:62 “And Jesus said, I am: and ye shall see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.”
3. The Battle of Armageddon: Jesus Christ will come as a Conquering Messiah with the Host of Heaven to fight against “the beast, and the kings of the earth, and their armies” (Revelation 19:19). During this battle Satan will be captured and bound for one thousand years.
4. To Resurrect Post-Rapture Saints: The saints killed during the Great Tribulation shall partake in the First Resurrection.
Revelation 20:4 “And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.”
5. The Millennial Reign of Jesus Christ on Earth: The Saints that followed Jesus Christ and the resurrected post-rapture Saints shall reign with Jesus Christ on Earth for one thousand years.
Revelation 20:4-5 “And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.”
6. The Final Judgment: Jesus Christ is coming to judge the living and the dead when He comes the second time.
Revelation 20:12-13 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
7. The Renovation of Heaven and Earth: Jesus Christ promises that He is making all things new. This is the final fulfillment of this promise.
Revelation 21:5 “And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.”
Revelation 21:1 “And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.”
8. The New Jerusalem: The New Jerusalem will descend from Heaven to the earth.
Revelation 21:1-2 “And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.”
9. The Restoration of God’s Kingdom on Earth: The kingdom of God is going to be here on earth with the New Jerusalem being its capital city.
Revelation 21:2-3 “And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.”
10. To Reward and Comfort The Righteous: Jesus is not just coming to judge the wicked but He will also reward and comfort the righteous.
Revelation 22:12 “And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.”
Revelation 21:4 “And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.”